Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Confusion- the last reentry


“Kassalin, you are looking fatter now.”

Another comment from my Chinese friends that made me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. Meanwhile, they seem to think it is a completely normal conversation.

Even now I still don’t like when people call me fat, even though I know they don’t mean to be rude.

But despite that, I think I must have got used to it while in China. Just after I got back I remember standing with some friends and seeing another friend walk past. He had put on weight while I had been away, he looked quite different.

“Wow, he’s heaps fatter now.” As soon as I exclaimed this the friends I was with let me know we don’t normally say that kind of thing!

I realized straight away what they meant and wondered why I just said something that I knew was rude. I totally didn’t know it was rude when I said it.


www.freedigitalphotos.net
Another memory for the Surprise! Series and the re entry one as I consider the perils of living in Australia where people expect me, the white Australian, native English speaker, to know how to act/speak/think etc.


No comments: