Wednesday, December 29, 2010

You have butter out here!!??

So many things unexpected things!


  • my own bedroom
  • with a mattress and clean sheets
  • brown rice
  • butter
  • cheese
  • strawberrys
  • bacon


I recently spend 2 nights in Prey Veng province. My hostesses were amused that I found so many things surprising. Later I realised I was probably surprised because I had gone with the expectations that I have when I visit a Khmer home, but I was visiting 3 non-Khmer ladies so it was quite different!

This was  my first stay in an expats home in Cambodia.  Over the last 5 years I've spent a few nights in at least 9 different provinces but I've stayed in either guest houses or Khmer family's homes.

I know what to expect when I stay at a guesthouse but I never know what to expect when going to stay with a Khmer family.  Sleeping and washing activities don't always involve bedrooms and bathrooms.
 Before we go I always ask if there is going to be a toilet......

(the food in the list above would have been bought in Phnom Penh supermarkets by the expats and taken to the province themselves- it was my first time to eat strawberrys in Cambodia I think)

No comments: