Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Expat communities compared

“I’m good at Khmer (language). I can speak better than my dad.”

A girl at Sunday School said this, her mum is Khmer and her dad is Aussie. I was glad to hear this as I was teaching an international (English language) Sunday School class and there was a Khmer girl who didn’t understand English. Also in the class I was teaching last month there were kids from India, Singapore, a Canadian/Khmer and the UK. And the teacher in the next room is from Nigeria.

There are so many expats in Phnom Penh, from so many different countries. Where I lived in China there weren’t many foreigners (or foreign bookshops, food shops).

“You don’t look like a foreigner now,” a Chinese friend said to me one day. I was a bit confused- was I starting to look Chinese?

To read in full click here.

No comments: