Friday, May 24, 2019

Culture Gap between generations {fmf}


“Yucky” was my son’s first reaction when he saw people wearing shoes inside. It was his first ever visit to Sydney, Australia.

It was alarming for him when he was handed a drink of tap water.  “But that will make me sick.”

I was amused. After growing up in Australia I have lived in Asia most of my adult life. I always find it weird going back to Australia and doing those things again, after not doing them for so long. But for my son he is not doing them AGAIN, it was all new to him.

My children are Australian. I'm Australian. We all live in Cambodia together, but our experience of this is different. My children are having their developmental years here, forming their identity.

When I came across this article about the Culture Gap I realised I needed to learn more.  

This gap can go unnoticed which creates frustrations and kids growing up overseas usually feel misunderstood by their parents. Most of culture is like the bulk of the iceberg, hidden under the water. Things like shoes and taps are easy to see and talk about, but most things aren't. There is a reason the author called her book Misunderstood. 

Hopefully we as parents can notice this gap and learn to see the world from our children’s point of view.  

I don't know if I explained this very well. If you are a parent bringing kids up overseas I encourage you to read this, or this. Or these. Or watch this 3 minute video.


This week the Five Minute Friday free write word prompt is CULTURE



Photo by Jacek Dylag on Unsplash

8 comments:

Fiona said...

Lots of mistakes/misunderstandings are made cross-culturally! Thanks for sharing your experiences!. [neighbours in fmf]

Susan said...

You are exposing your children to diverse cultures - how fortunate.

Diane McElwain said...

When in another country it's good to watch and listen to the people so you don't offend. Even in America, there are areas that not only have their own slang words but customs. Coming here from FMF.

Katherine said...

Thanks for your comment Fiona, yes there is always a lot of confusion!

Katherine said...

Hi Susan, yes indeed, lots of good things about growing up with more than one culture.

Jenny said...

Great job with this brief description. I lived in China for three years and worked with third culture kids there, so this definitely resonates. I feel like transitioning back to American culture was challenging enough as an adult and I can only imagine the confusion it would be for young children.

Katherine said...

Thanks Diane, yes, even a slight culture gap can cause offense.

Katherine said...

Yes Jenny, I also find it hard being back in my passport country, its hard to wrap my head around what it is like for my kids to go there.