Friday, February 08, 2019

From boredom to building {fmf}





"I'm bored"

I often hear this from our kids. It can be a torturous 20 minutes when the kids feel like they don't have anything to do.

But what happens next is amazing.

They build things.

Over the last 6 months we've had some indoor structures big enough to climb into. A house, a boat, a spaceship. Sometimes with multiple rooms and various windows and skylights.

We've also seen small things built such as rockets, planes and helicopters. These are usually made to just the right size to be held and flown around inside or outside.

The building materials include but not are limited to- furniture, suit cases, blankets, pillows, pegs, rubber bands, cracker boxes, oat tins, the old broken bread maker....

Sometimes the boredom hits when I'm in the middle of doing something. I'm always trying to decide if I should drop what I'm doing and play with them. To play or not to play? Either way somebody is going to be upset.  I've been trying to remember all these amazing creations, hopefully it will make the next time of boredom easier, at least for me.

... a one-word prompt every week, and you have the opportunity to free write for five minutes flat on that one word, then join the link-up...word prompt: BUILD

6 comments:

Katina said...

It is amazing how children become creative little innovators! Oh to keep some of that creativity as adults! Happy Friday

Heather said...

This is great! Boredom can be a wonderful motivation. We see this when we are on our summer break from school. Keep up the good work!

Misty Wagner said...

I love this! I get so inspired by young kids and how pure their imaginations are! The creativity is rich!

Jennifer said...

Sometimes, even as adults, the cure for our boredom is simply our imagination. I need to allow my imagination a little more freedom:) Just to be creative!

stephanie said...

Something I am working on in my life is that instead watching something when I'm bored, creating something. Your kids have it right. I think we loose that as we get older.

Lesley said...

I think kids need boredom sometimes to have the space to be creative and to learn how to amuse themselves! Visiting from FMF #32.