Saturday, June 08, 2019

Taking care of your heart well



It was exciting to be part of a big campus ministry. So many things happening. New training programs for believers. Creative outreach ideas. People reading new books about evangelism and old books about the Bible. Conferences out of town, big events on campus and meetings about meetings.

   
In all this excitement I remember feeling surprised that the director kept talking about something that seemed so ordinary and mundane. Bible reading and praying. Throughout the two years I kept hearing this mentioned as the main thing that needed to happen, the most important thing. Maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised but all the events were all new and exciting to me, while reading the Bible and praying seemed like such a normal, boring, everyday thing to engage in.


I was reminded of this when I was reading Serving Well, in a section called Taking care of your heart well.


"We need so much more than yesterday’s manna, so much more than the gorging of conferences or the regurgitations of famous teachers. We need time with God and his Word. Today.


Each bite will not be Instagrammable. Each bite will not be magnificent and earth-shattering and memorable, and that’s as it should be, because sometimes you just need the calories. Regular, non-crisis reading of the Word may seem to make zero difference in your life today or even tomorrow. But I promise you, in a year or ten or fifty, the consistent ingesting of the Word will make all the difference."


7 comments:

Paula Kiger said...

Serving Well sounds like an interesting read!

Beth Listening to Him said...

Beautiful post!! Thank you for sharing. I crave the ordinary and day to day, but often get caught up in the excitement of other things too.

Regina said...

Thank you Katherine for visiting my blog. I figured out the problem and it seems to be working now. I will need to read Serving Well. I love reading.
Have a blessed weekend!

Katherine said...

Thanks for your comment Paula, it is a great book.

Katherine said...

Hi Beth, yes it is easy to get caught up in he excitement.

Katherine said...

Hi Regina,yes, its working now, thanks.

Erika Shirk said...

"we need so much more than yesterday's manna". What a line! Thanks for sharing!