Saturday, January 19, 2019

“Mummy, you’re so tiresome.” {fmf}


... a one-word prompt every week, and you have the opportunity to free write for five minutes flat on that one word, then join the link-up...






“Mummy, you’re so tiresome.”

This made me laugh, we don’t use that word normally so it sounded strange coming out of his mouth. But I know where he got it from. I had been reading an Enid Blyton book to him, which he LOVED! I hadn’t expecting it to influence his speech like that though.

Which made me think- what do I read? How does it influence me? Over the last years I have mostly been reading this blog which I wrote about here: A Life Overseas, and books and blogs associated with it/similar to it. I guess it’s  fascinating to me as it’s written by and for other expats Christians living outside their passport countries and facing similar issues to me. 

So when one of the writers feels differently to me, it’s really noticeable. For example to day I was reading a blog by an American missionary (not on ALO, somewhere else I can’t remember) she mentioned how she can only get real rest when she is back in her own country, she can never truly rest in her host country. I feel very differently, at least so far/ in this stage of life. Visiting my passport country (Australia) is hard work, the prep, the being there, the recovering.  My best rest is in my host country (Cambodia).

And another noticeable time was when I was reading a book by an ATCK (adult third culture kids) and she mentions she likes travelling, like she needs to travel. That highlighted for me, I really don’t like travel at all. Our best holidays/vacations are at home, we only go away for things we need to.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Great questions to consider! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from FMF! Peace and blessings to you!