Thursday, November 04, 2010

Top 20kg countdown

Which of the stuff in my house will make the 20kg bag that I’ll take with me when I leave Cambodia for a few years?




After being here 5 years, we need to empty our house of stuff as we plan to live in Australia for 2-3 years. It would make it cheaper and easier when we come back if we could store our stuff, but I don’t know that we can find places to store it, and we certainly can’t take it all back with us.



So most of the stuff has to go. Hopefully we can sell our big stuff, like furniture, and hopefully some other things too, like our kitchen stuff.



Not sure if we should be shrewd and try to sell as much as possible for as much money as possible. Or go the other way and be generous, if we can find others that need some pots and pans, why not give it to them? Is that being irresponsible with our resources? My Khmer friend wants to buy our washing machine- should we try to sell it for as much as possible or help her family by making it as cheap as we can?



Often the whole moving thing is busy and stressful so it becomes easier to give things away anyway.

I was looking at my stationary stuff and feeling annoyed that I’ll have to get rid of it. I have some packets of coloured paper and cardboard used for cards and letters and some other things. I don’t know that I could sell it, hopefully I’ll find someone who can use it. I can remember other times I’ve moved house internationally (3 times) and had to get rid of stationary, it feels like such a waste. And even the big things that we sell feel like a waste too. We’ll only be able to sell our washing machine, fridge, etc for a fraction of what we paid for it. If we were able to keep it and keep using it, it would worth more than that to us.




Also considering sending some stuff- with TNT it cost about 25 USD to send a kg to Aust. Maybe I should send some of our towels and sheets rather than giving them away and buying new stuff at the other end. Then will we send them back here again in a few years???



And then there’s Kimsoeun’s books for work and music equipment. We really want to store those as he’ll need them when we get back, and unlike spoons and forks we can’t just buy more at the market.



What would you take from your home if you could only take 20 kg of things?

3 comments:

Jaime S said...

Credit card and passport :D.

Jaime.

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Once you get tickets, see if the airline will give you some extra luggage allowance, or you could fly AirAsia and pay for 30kg instead of 20kg.

What to take, I say don't take stuff you can get there, unless it's personal stuff like Bibles/computers/etc. Go to Vinnies or Lifeline when you get there and buy sheets and towels. You can get a lot of household stuff that way, and The Warehouse, Spotlight, etc are good sources of linen/towels if you don't want it to last forever!

Anonymous said...

Wow, $25USD a kg! The Snelling's had their stuff shipped over to Taiwan at $1/kg!!! You have to be so selective. I think I'd take lots of sentimental things like photos and if I had time I would scan letter/cards (that would take ages). It's such a hard thing to know what to give away or sell.
Let us know what you need when you get to Sydney. We might have spare things to give you.