Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Helping English teachers


Once a week I spend the morning at a primary school. I'm there to help the teachers with their English. Before class starts they read the Bible. We go around the circle and read a few verses each. I try to listen and read the chapter ahead of time, otherwise it takes me forever to read (actually even if i read it beforehand it still takes me ages). This week I thought we were doing Luke 23, so thats what I prepared for, but it turned out to be Luke 22. oops!


The first thing I see when I get to school is lots of little helmets and shoes (and some big ones).

I help some Christian English teachers. They are Khmer, but need to teach maths and English to Khmer kindergarten children.

So although I don't actually teach the kids i do get to practice my upside reading skills as I imagine a primary school teacher would have to do.


On Saturday about 10 of us had lunch at one teachers house. We made a duck dish with a particular mix of herbs and spices called groeung (I'll explain it on my food blog one day).



It was yummy! And lots of fun. I've been getting to know this group over the last year and a half, and started praying weekly with one of them. They are all around my age and can speak English (as well as Khmer of course) so they are easy and fun to hang out with.

No comments: