Monday, May 24, 2010

I've never been to the USA part 1

There were many surprises when I moved from China back to Australia. As I started interacting with Australians again I realized I’d taken on some foreign habits without being aware.

“You’ve been to America,” my uncle exclaimed while we were eating a roast dinner.
I have never been to America and I had no idea why he suddenly made that comment during dinner, seemingly out of nowhere.

He explained that I was using my knife and fork like an American, rather than eating the Australian way. I hadn’t even known that there was an Australian vs American way. (He lived in America for a year.)

I guess I developed this habit while I was in China. There was a small group of expats in my town, mostly American. On Tuesday night I would usually eat at one of their places.



“American way” cut food up with knife in left hand and fork in right. When finished cutting up put the knife down and hold fork in right hand, use it to get the food to your mouth. Australian way – cut and eat as you go, keeping knife and fork in their original hands.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

We do eat rather inefficiently. (P.S. I love the new blog look!)