Sunday, April 25, 2021

Lockdown 2 ends; not as carefree as I imagined

6am ANZAC day & end of lockdown

 It had been a weird and hard 2 weeks, people around us had no market, no work, no food. Surely our village needs to open again soon, how will people survive?

So it was exciting when we found out the lockdown was over and the market would be open again....

Except then we realised it wasn't real..

But then we realised it was!

So then we tested it out and turned out not to be true.

That all happened around lunch time, then later in the day we noticed something which made it seem like they had let people in.

So we tested it again and this time it turned out to be true!

Unfolding alongside this was news that someone we know has Covid19. They only just finished school last year and moved away to another town to work. After being taken from their workplace they are now being held in a makeshift medical facility, in normal times it is a restaurant.

The parents are distressed.They are also are away from home in search of work, but instead of money for food they found Covid restrictions. 

So now the family is stuck in 3 different town without income or ability to travel. All to the backdrop of increasing virus cases.

But back to our village lockdown. When we realised we were free I quickly got ready to go out, which took some effort as I hadn't done it in 2 weeks. I have a long list of things I want to buy at the supermarket! I found out from friends which shops I can get to, some are in lockdown communes.

 By the time I was ready it was too late to go, and we realised we will probably still have freedom the next day. We just dont know how long it will last though, with cases going up and up. Out of the last 4 weeks we were in lockdown for 3, and we guess we will be spending more time at home. So the idea is to do a big shop while I can. Hopefully soon, although there is nothing urgent.

My last bike ride was 17 days ago, so this morning I grabbed my helmet while the kids were still asleep and the sun wasn't too hot. 

It was not as awesome as I thought. 

For one, I didn't check my tyres. 

And two, I had some emotions I didn't forsee. 

After having officials there keeping us all out and in, I felt a bit scared to leave the village. Was I going to get in trouble? What if they don't let me back in?

And then, once I was in the park I saw lots of people riding around as if it was normal! I realised they had been going about their normal life the whole time we were locked up! For some reason I felt surprised and kind of angry at them.

It was a fleeting feeling, only noting it as it felt so bizarre. Somehow I had forgotton there was life beyond 700metres away.

No comments: