Friday, September 27, 2019

What does a successful day look like?




“Well, that was a successful day,” I thought to myself as the kids and I headed home in a tuk tuk. 

At 5pm in Cambodia the sun is already setting. With the spectacular rainy season clouds and the tall palm trees there is enough to distract me from all the motorbikes that are zooming and weaving around us. 

My big achievement for the day had been lying down for 2.5 hours. 

Yes, congratulations to me for resting from 12.30 until 3pm. Having time to do that meant that I had a bit more energy and concentration for the one hour visit with friends in the late afternoon. 

Although my iron levels are in normal range now I feel like my brain fog is getting worse, it is so frustrating trying to interact with people when take so long to think. Hence, a long nap time to ensure I was feeling well enough to take the kids out.


It is one year since I started noticing fatigue. And since its my fatigue- iversary as I mentioned here I guess I’ve been noticing these things. I probably would not have called a two and a half hour rest a successful day before I was sick!


Photo by twinsfisch on Unsplash

8 comments:

Andrew said...

In this world we're driven,
and urged to never stop
until our health is riven,
and we, un-noticed, drop.
It is expected of each one
that energy will never fail,
and never can we say, "I'm done!"
for our striving must prevail.
How far we are, then, from Christ
who napped while the lake-storm rose;
on seeing panic, was He surprised,
saying, "I should fix this, I suppose"?
After rebuking sky and deep,
did He then go back to sleep?

#1 at FMF this week.

https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2019/09/your-dying-spouse-677-broken-to-joy-fmf.html

Katherine said...

Wow, great poem Andrew, did you write it? I guess you are no stranger to forced unproductivity. Its so hard to take a nap, until its hard not to.

Tbreit said...

Take care of yourself!

Andrew said...

Katherine, yes, I did write it, specificially for your post today. And yes, it is hard for me to step back and rest!

The Faithful Homeschool said...

Sorry to hear you are not well. It is interesting how different we can each see "success".

Lesley said...

Well done for taking the rest you needed! I think success looks different for each of us, and depends a lot on our circumstances.

Katherine said...

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Ashley said...

Great post! And when I read "tuk-tuk", you captured my attention! We are missionaries to the Amazon in Colombia and we ride around in tuk-tuks there as well :)

Glad you rested and loved Andrew's poem as well.