Wednesday, October 27, 2010

walking

I was amused to hear a Khmer friend telling a group about a strange experience she had overseas (Korea).

"They have traffic lights just for people walking. When the lights change all the cars stop and people walk across the road. So many people! And all the cars wait for them."

Amusing to me because it's not a strange thing where I'm from.
One of the big things Westerns first notice when they move here,
and that they miss even after being here awhile and getting used to many things, is that you can't really go for a walk. In fact the day before a fellow ex-pat had been talking about how they found that hard.

I guess because of the  weather and lack of space on the footpaths (or lack of footpaths) and other factors.

In town there are actually lights for walking people. If I'm crossing a big road I try to use them, but I'm often the only one. And its not necessarily safer to cross there, as motos and cars don't always stop at the red light, so sometimes you can't cross when the green man is flashing.

No comments: