Friday, February 12, 2010

What are those?


The other day a Khmer friend came over. She saw some things on our table and asked me what they were. I told her to guess, so she picked one up to have a look.

Suddenly she tipped it over and put it on her back (and the tea light candle fell out). It's for cupping! she said. She was referring to a medicinal thing where they put fire in small glasses about the same size as our candle holders.Then they put the hot cups on your back and it sucks up your skin and it makes you red and healed.


I told her that wasn't it, and she guessed again. Oh, its for when the power goes off. I said yes to this, although when the power goes off e use our big emergency lantern. The candles are just for decoration.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

What a cute story! I love inter-cultural discoveries - even if it's as simple as finding out the difference in uses for tea lights!