Friday, February 15, 2019

Not really sure {fmf}



"At its best, I think all the arts allow us to tell ourselves our own story. The canvas or the page or the theater is always willing, always open to receive, and to mirror back, that which needs to be said. It's a gesture from the inner world to the outer one. In a way, we let a thing be true when we express it in creative form. In telling ourselves a story, we give shape to something real. In sharing what we create, we give others a chance to enter our world, if even just for a moment."

Megan Devine 

The Unexpected Practice That Helped Me Cope With Grief — When Nothing Else Could


My husband was dizzy. 
For two years. 
For no reason.

That was over 5 years ago.

But now things are manageable. So I wasn't really sure why it felt so good to write about The Dizzy Monster in my spouse for My Migraine Brain a few years ago, or if it was a good thing to be doing. But the other week when I read this Megan Devine article I felt confident about it. Writing about grief is "a gesture from the inner world to the outer one".

"Tell the story until you don't need to tell it anymore" came up in a Facebook group last month. I think in relation to trauma recovery.  This made sense of what had been going on for me recently. Life has settled down now, no major changes or stressful things, but my recent blogging includes a dark blindfolded photo. I was unsure why something like that felt so good, but now I'm thinking of blogging as post counselling therapy.  I'm feeling confident that it is a useful thing to be doing. 

End of 5 min.

The posts I was thinking of while writing this one:







Linking up with Five minute Friday

... a one-word prompt every week, and you have the opportunity to free write for five minutes flat on that one word, then join the link-up...The word this week is confident

Photo by Oli Dale on Unsplash  

4 comments:

Lesley said...

I definitely find writing therapeutic at times. It's a good way to process, and it's true sometimes we need to tell the same stories over and over again. Visiting from FMF #5.

Katherine said...

Thanks Lesley

Anita Ojeda said...

I found writing to be very healing after I finally came to terms with the fact that my husband's catastrophic bout with cancer made ME depressed. It took about a year of writing to finally process everything (not every day...just a couple of times a week).

Katherine said...

Hi Anita, yes I think I've read a little of your writing over the past few months as I was forming these thoughts. Thanks for stopping by.