Friday, December 14, 2018

Silent, settle, still {fmf}

The silt has sunk.
Hi Friend,

Thanks for your post last week about the jar of river water. Thinking about muddy water settling, and leaving the top bit clear is a vivid way to think about chaos in our minds and meditation.

I've been trying to do a lot of different things recently, all at the same time. I'm not particularity busy, it might just be that I have more energy than recent months. The iron rich diet is doing its work, feels like my fatigue was indeed from anemia. I'm ready to start doing ALL THE THINGS again- right now! I feel like I have too many browser tabs open in my brain.

I was reading Subversive Jesus by Craig Greenfield earlier this week, and he also mentioned a jar of river water. It looks murky but if you let it settle it becomes clear. The sediment sinks to the bottom. He quoted someone else who talked about contemplation as a way to confront the toxicity in our lives.

Two jars of muddy river water within days of each other! I really do need to work on closing some of the tabs in my brain! We read a Psalm each week, this week is Psalm 42, so I'm trying to think about that more, and think about others things less.

I just checked Five Minute Friday word prompt for the week. "Still"! 

I was thinking I would try to write and link up at some stage, but feeling like I should just be reading and listening these days, before I start writing and doing things. So I'm not really planning on  writing this week. Probably better to just do essential things and pay more attention to my kids. I might start writing and linking up next year, after I've spent some time being still.

Thanks again for your words,
Katherine

8 comments:

Joanne Viola said...

It is true that our bodies need time to be still. I often tell my husband that I feel like I am on sensory overload. There is so much "noise" always going on around us. I so appreciate the quiet times, times to re-focus and be still before the Lord. May you have a blessed Christmas!

Susan said...

Well, you wrote about stillness; however, unintentionally. The silt needed to be still to settle. AMEN? First time ever reading you and I'm glad I happened over.

Patti said...

Like you, but for different reasons, I've been through a season of being still and then (for me at least) frantically trying to do so much. And like you, I've been reading Psalms as part of my BS. It's so hard sometimes to put it all together -- our lives and our busyness and our need for quiet and the Word. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Andrew said...

I find that sometimes noise leads to stillness...there is no peace quite so profound as that found behind a totally unmuffled 600-hp aeroplane engine.

#1 at FMF this week.

https://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2018/12/your-dying-spouse-554-what-do-i-do-now.html

h said...

How ironic!

h said...

I find much easier to talk about it than to do it!

Katherine said...

Thanks for your comments, sorry I can't work out how to reply to each one at the moment.

Katherine said...

Thanks!