Friday, March 16, 2012

the wrong question /nametagmania

Even though I've been married for 5 years, last year was my first year of people calling me by my married name. I didn't realise at the time but I remember finding it weird and disorientating.


Khmer style food prep in Aust
"What's her name?" I asked the Cambodian man at the airport. He didn't know, he turned to ask her. I found this weird as it seemed they had been travelling together.

 The 3 of us were leaving Australia on the same day six years ago. I was going to Cambodia for the first time, she was going back after visiting family in Australia. The Cambodian man spoke some English so had been helping her in the airports and on the plane. We were in transit an extra long time as our first place broke down so had to wait for a new plane the next day.

comfort 
 I was excited to meet some Cambodians before I even got to Cambodia, but confused as to why he didn't know her name when it was clear they had spent about a day together.

Fast forward five years. I got back to Australia about a year ago and one of my initial impressions was that I had to wear name tags a lot. I guess it was something that stood out as I hadn't done it for years, but everyone here (Aust) seemed to act like it was normal. I must have gotten used to being called sister, auntie, grandma etc.

This was just one of the many things I found disorientating last year. After having a holiday over summer, and moving house, I've begun to look back on last year and realise these kind of things.
Aust style food prep in Cambodia

No comments: