Saturday, March 06, 2010

Cross culture for Bible school students

It was funny for me to see nine Cambodians walking around a village in Cambodia acting like visitors from another country- taking photos, staring and pointing, trying to the greeting in the local language.

I tagged along with a Bible school group on their annual mission trip. Although we were still in Cambodia we were visiting a hill tribe/ethnic minority group called the Pnong.


I saw some people greet each other by shaking hands, instead of the usual greeting where people put their hands together as if they are praying. I thought they looked strange, maybe they were really good friends and it was a special thing the two of them did. But then I saw heaps of people doing it, that's how Pnong greet each other!


The Bible school team I was with was working with this church. I think the services are usually in Pnong language but many people can understand Khmer as well so the team were able to run programs.

The group knows Khmer person who has lived and worked here, and knows some Pnong, so it was through her that we got to know these people.

When we first got there we went for a walk around the village. People came running out to greet us, and we ended up visiting people and praying for them. We couldn't understand the language so sometimes we had to wait for it to be translated into Khmer. That was a weird for me, as I'm used to waiting for the English translation so I can understand, but in this case it was the Khmer that I could understand!

In this house there was a lady who was really sick, and had been for ages. Her husband has taken her to a few different hospitals in Cambodia, and has been to Vietnam too. She can''t move, speak, etc.

No comments: