Monday, September 07, 2009

Looking after your deceased family members in Asia

Last Thursday as I rode to and from work I saw people burning things outside their houses. They used metal bins or big metal bowls to burn money and other paper things for their dead ancestors. I'll try to get a photo next year. I think they also had a special meal that day. Its a Chinese festival, although I don't remember seeing it in China. Religious things are more obvious here.

And on Saturday the Cambodia "Festival of the Dead" began. It's called 'Pchum Ben'and goes for two weeks. During these two weeks the streets are filled with people in their best clothes going to temples to give food to their ancestors. Some photos: KI Media, Pchum Ben photos
See also Feeding the Dead
The last few days are public holidays and everyone goes back to their hometown.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Wow I can't believe it's Pchum Ben already! It was my first Cambodian holiday. The music in the temple behind my house kept waking me up at 430 am so I decided to go in one day ... by myself. I got a lot of stares. hehe. Here's what I found: http://rae-does-contiki.blogspot.com/2008/09/more-pchum-ben-festivies.html

Katherine said...

hey, those photos are cool!