I’m enjoying bike riding these days as the weather is nice and cool. It makes it so much easier! The down side to rainy season though, is that my feet get so muddy everyday. Here is some advice for riding a bike in rainy season:
1. If the road is covered in water ride slowly – there might be unseen potholes lurking in the murkiness.
2.If the people on the moto next to you drive into a pothole and fall off, don’t try to watch them, keep looking out for your own potholes.
3. Don’t wear backless shoes. If you come off your bike and you end up in the water they might float away under a moving car.
4. Don’t assume that the road won’t get potholes when it rains even if it was just paved last year.
5.If you find it too stressful riding in busy traffic, in muddy water worrying about the potholes that you can’t see, anticipating that at any moment your front wheel might take a sharp downward movement, try walking your bike instead. You’ll end up with wet jeans up to your knees, but less heart palpitations.
6. Wash your feet/shoes/jeans well when you get home. You don’t know what’s in that water.
7. Avoid cows (they don’t know the traffic laws).
I read that a cow was taken into police custody recently. They said it had caused 2 fatal traffic accidents this year. Altogether 4 people died and 3 were injured. (From “South Eastern Globe”, Nov 2007 quoting “The Cambodian Daily” October 12th)