Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Construction

I pass heaps of construction sites each day so I thought I’d share these photos. In a recent edition “Phnom Penh Post” there is an article about safety for workers. “Fuelled by increased investment, construction has been a boom industry in Cambodia’s urban centres for the past half decade, but rapid growth has outpaced regulatory controls.”

The author spoke to a worker who saw his friend and co- worker fall 14 floors and die a few months ago. He also said most construction workers are paid 8,000 riel per day (about $2 US), 7,000 for females.

As I may have mentioned once or twice before it’s quite hot here most of the time. Just riding home from uni (20min, around 10am) is often enough heat/sun to give me a headache (no matter how much water I drink). I can’t imagine what it would be like to spend the whole working day outside. They usually start early and have a long break in the middle of the day- but they still get a lot of sun.



No comments: